1st August 2018 is Earth Overshoot Day―this is the earliest date yet since the world went into ecological overshoot in the 1970s.
So what is Earth Overshoot Day?
This is the date when we (all of humanity) have used more from nature than our planet can renew in the entire year. We are using 1.7 Earths. How? By using more ecological resources and services than nature can regenerate through overfishing, overharvesting forests, and emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than ecosystems can absorb.
If everyone committed to #MoveTheDate 5 days each year, we could get out of global overshoot by 2050. Take your first step today! And use the hashtag to spread the word.
How many earths do we need?
If everyone lived like the average American, we would need 5 Earths. The average Russian, 3.3 Earths. And the average Brazilian, 1.8 Earths.
It would take 8.5 South Koreas to support South Koreans’ Ecological Footprint. It would take us in the UK, 4 times our nation to meet the demand for natural resources of UK residents. How does your country stack up?
Here’s how Earth Overshoot Day has changed over the last 50 years. A true apples-to-apples comparison of Earth Overshoot Days can only be made using the same edition of the National Footprint Accounts. The precise Earth Overshoot Day date for each year is less significant than the sheer magnitude of ecological overshoot.
What can we do?
- If we reduce driving by 50% around the world and assume one-third of car miles are replaced by public transportation and the rest by biking and walking, Earth Overshoot Day would move back 12 days.
- Mingle with the carpooling folks, or even the cyclists or public transit riders who you meet on the way to or from work every day.
- If we reduced global meat consumption by 50% and replaced these calories with a vegetarian diet, we would move the date of Overshoot Day 5 days
- If we cut food waste in half worldwide, we would move the date of Overshoot Day 11 days.
- Clothing makes up 3% of the global Ecological Footprint. You can move the date by being intentional about clothing purchases and streamlining your wardrobe.
Thank you http://www.overshootday.org please visit their website to find out more.